ST. AMANT, LA (WAFB) - Authorities said a man suffered moderate injuries when his motor home camper exploded Sunday evening.
The St. Amant Fire Department said it happened in St. Amant around 5 p.m.
According to Fire Chief James E. LeBlanc, he arrived on the scene just three minutes after the call was received and found a motor home completely engulfed in flames, with debris scattered out about 90 feet from the camper.
Leblanc reported the owner was checking for propane leaks when the explosion happened.
Leblanc also stated some who saw the explosion said the home owner was thrown back as much as 20 to 30 feet from the impact.
He was taken to the hospital for treatment. His exact condition is unknown.
Several nearby homes were also damaged in the explosion. Some had their windows blown out by the blast.
Word spread quickly through social media with comments and inquiries of what happened.
Homes in Ascension Parish as far as 12 miles from the location reportedly felt the shake of the explosion.
As many as 27 volunteer firefighters and four fire trucks responded to the call.