Girl recovering from burns after costume catches fire - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Girl recovering from burns after costume catches fire

Sarah Thompson (R) recuperates alongside her sister, Alison. (Source: Chris Thompson) Sarah Thompson (R) recuperates alongside her sister, Alison. (Source: Chris Thompson)
TRENTON, AL (WAFF) -

A ten-year-old girl is recovering at a Birmingham hospital after her costume caught fire while she was helping out at a Jackson County haunted house.

It happened this past Friday night in the Trenton community. The event is put on by the fire department to raise money for operational expenses. As it happens, the victim is the daughter of the fire chief. He said it's just a very bad freak accident.

Sarah Thompson suffered burns on 20-30% of her body, especially her hands, according to Valley Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chris Thompson.

Sarah was playing the part of a zombie at the Evil House of Horrors, when around 8:40 p.m., she decided to take a break. She left the haunted house to warm up and walked into the yard where a fire was roaring in a 55-gallon barrel.

Chief Thompson said he believes the wind caused flames to catch her costume on fire. Sarah ran, but firefighter Stanley Smith took her to the ground and smothered out the fire with his jacket.

Sarah was taken to Huntsville Hospital, and then later transported to UAB in Birmingham.

Chief Thompson said his daughter is doing better now, and hopes she will be able to come home this weekend.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Deadly virus threatens local crawfish industry

    Deadly virus threatens local crawfish industry

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 7:26 PM EDT2017-05-23 23:26:19 GMT

    A deadly virus is threatening the crawfish industry in Southwest Louisiana. It's called white spot syndrome virus and it was first discovered in Thailand, but somehow it made its way to ponds in South Louisiana and specialists are struggling to find the funds to research a solution.  “The catch was increasing and increasing and then it dropped 70% and that's when you saw the dead crawfish floating in the water,” said a crawfish farmer of 34 years, Ian Garbarino. He...

    More >>

    A deadly virus is threatening the crawfish industry in Southwest Louisiana. It's called white spot syndrome virus and it was first discovered in Thailand, but somehow it made its way to ponds in South Louisiana and specialists are struggling to find the funds to research a solution.  “The catch was increasing and increasing and then it dropped 70% and that's when you saw the dead crawfish floating in the water,” said a crawfish farmer of 34 years, Ian Garbarino. He...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly