Jury to see Richard Matthews admit to murder on camera - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Jury to see Richard Matthews admit to murder on camera

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

An East Baton Rouge Parish jury will be allowed to watch a video shot on January 7, 2010 of Richard Matthews admitting on camera that he killed two people just weeks earlier.

Richard Matthews rants caught on camera will be shown when his case goes to trial, says District Court Judge Tony Marabella. Matthews is charged with the December 2009 shooting at Grady Crawford Construction Company that killed two women.

In one video Matthews says he did not intend to kill the two females; that he was trying to kill Trey Crawford the owner of the company.

Matthews: They wouldn't pay my child support

WAFB's Jim Shannon: No, you said unemployment.

Matthews: Unemployment. They wouldn't pay my unemployment.

Jim Shannon: Is that why you killed those two girls?

Matthews: No, I went in there to kill Trey Crawford. That's who I went in there to kill.

Jim Shannon: But you killed those two girls.

Matthews: I went in the back and they went to hollering, man. I panicked. I panicked; they run me crazy, man – they run me crazy.

District Attorney Hillar Moore, III says it's a critical piece of evidence. Moore says his office was able to convince a judge Friday that Matthews spoke on his own.

District Attorney Hillar Moore, III agrees with the judge's decision. "As you heard from the officer's testimony of the officers he just continued to blurt out statements and they happened to be caught on camera and that is evidence we are allowed to use. Not coerced not even suggested that he make a statement or any kind of utterance but he did on his own."

Matthews's lawyers have until Mid-December to present an insanity defense if they want to. Earlier this week prosecutors notified the court they planned on seeking a death penalty.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 11:32 PM EDT2017-04-29 03:32:02 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children. 

    More >>
  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • BREAKING

    Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

    Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

    Sunday, April 30 2017 12:31 AM EDT2017-04-30 04:31:34 GMT

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>

    Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly