ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH (WAFB) - Officials of St. John the Baptist Parish have worked in preparation of Tropical Storm Karen, keeping residents updated on evacuations, road closures, outages, and other procedures.
According to SBJ Parish Communications Director Paige Falgoust, starting Saturday afternoon through Sunday, the parish may be hit with winds of about 25-35 miles per hour. The storm surge for Lake Pontchartrain is expected to reach up to 3 feet from rainfall of 2 to 4 inches. Heavy rainfall and wind is also expected along the West Bank, including Pleasure Bend. Tornados have not been ruled out but are not expected to occur.
SJB Parish issued a voluntary evacuation for areas north of I-10 to Manchac, and it remains in effect. If you are a resident in low-lying areas, officials advise to move your vehicles to higher ground, and call 911 Emergency for overnight assistance.
Officials also report that parish crews have already placed equipment in preparation of power outages, heavy rains and winds. Residents are urged to make final preparations for these conditions, and additionally flooding and fallen tree limbs.
The Emergency Operations Center will begin taking calls at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning. You can reach them at 1-985-652-2222.
- No roads closed
- High water on the Hwy 51 at Ruddock.
- For more information about state highways closures- www.511la.org or dial 5-1-1.
- No outages reported
- Report outages at 1-800-9OUTAGE or http://viewoutage.enterg.com/la.aspx.
- Saturday collection will begin at 3:00 a.m.
- Garbage concerns can be forwarded to 651-536-2750.
- Vegetative debris can be delivered to the incinerator located on Airport Road in Reserve on Saturday, October 5, 2013.
- Sandbag locations will remain open until dark & re-open tomorrow at 7:00 a.m.
- Belle Terre Land (front of Foxwood Subdivision) - LaPlace
- St. John Community Center - LaPlace
- 425 Captain Bourgeois (pre-filled sandbags for elderly & disabled only)
- Fire Station #94 - Pleasure Bend
- Fire Station #62 on Railroad Avenue - Reserve
- Airport Road - Reserve
- Fire Station #71 on Historic West St. - Garyville
- Old Second Ward High School - Edgard
- Please stay tuned to local weather stations, sjbparish.com, St. John Government Access Channel, Facebook and twitter for updated information.
- Residents can also dial 2-1-1 for state emergency information.
Dial 9-1-1 after hours to report concerns.
This information was retrieved from the Communications offices of St. John the Baptist Parish.