Electrical malfunction sparks fire that leaves 6 homeless - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Electrical malfunction sparks fire that leaves 6 homeless

Posted: Updated:
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A four-plex was badly damaged due to a fire caused by an electrical malfunction early Friday morning.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened on North 39th Street near North Street in Baton Rouge just before 2:30 a.m.

Firefighters said an upstairs unit was on fire when they arrived on the scene. They added the people living in that unit and the one below got out before crews made it to the scene.

According to fire officials, only the unit where the fire started was damaged by the flames. However, the other upstairs unit received heavy smoke and water damage. The two downstairs units also had water damage.

BRFD said a total of six people were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross was contacted to lend them assistance.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow