Man sentenced to 24 years for calling in fake bomb threat to LSU

William Bouvay (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)
William Bouvay (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The man accused of calling in a bomb threat to the LSU campus last fall will spend more than two decades in prison.

District Judge Lou Daniel sentenced William Bouvay Jr., 42, of Baton Rouge, to 24 years at hard labor with no possibility of probation or parole.

"I apologize to LSU, the community, the court for my actions," Bouvay said before being sentenced.

"Your actions were cowardly and shameful and affected thousands of people both on and off the LSU campus," Daniel said.

District Attorney Hillar Moore said the judge's ruling fits the crime.

"What he did was extremely bad and dangerous," Moore said. "Just the impact on LSU itself, the university, the high school and the lab school. Getting students off that campus, parents that were scared to death their child may be killed, just the multitude of problems he caused."

Bouvay pleaded guilty in April to charges stemming from the call he made last September. He faced up to 28 years in prison.

Prosecutors said the fake bomb threat cost LSU $1.4 million. They added Bouvay had a significant criminal record.

Federal charges against Bouvay were dropped, so the state of Louisiana case could move forward. The state's case carried more time in prison.

Investigators said Bouvay called the EBR 911 center on Monday, Sept. 17 at 10:32 a.m. and told the operator there were three bombs placed around the LSU campus. The call was recorded. In the police report from the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, what Bouvay said to the 911 operator was recorded.

"Yes, I've planted three bombs at LSU's school campus. My colleagues planted three bombs at LSU to go off in two hours if my (pause). This is not a joke. I'm gonna go there and... (call disconnected)."

The campus was evacuated around 11:30 a.m. When some 35,000 students, faculty and staff were told to evacuate from campus, the buildings were quickly cleared.

No one was injured. Students living in residence halls were left waiting for word it was safe to return.

The threat happened in the wake of bomb scares at several other large universities around the nation the previous week. Officials did not believe the LSU bomb threat was related to any other bomb threat reported around the nation.

Residents living on campus were allowed back into their dorm rooms just after 8 p.m. and the entire campus was given the all clear around 11 p.m.

All 250 buildings on campus had to be checked first.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.