Off-duty Toledo firefighter comes to aid of Arkansas couple - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Off-duty Toledo firefighter comes to aid of Arkansas couple

Carl and Wilma Hohn Carl and Wilma Hohn
TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) -

An Arkansas man is alive because a Toledo firefighter who happened to be on vacation spotted him on a busy highway, near death, and stopped to help.

"I thought I had lost my husband," said Wilma Hohn. "And I wasn't sure for awhile that my life might be taken."

Carl and Wilma Hohn are high school sweethearts from Arkansas, who have been married for 56 years. They were on their way back from a trip to Michigan when things took an unexpected turn on I-75 south.

"My husband swerved a little bit," Wilma explained. "I looked over and he slumped over, and then our car hit the left banister."

Wilma yanked the keys from the ignition and says her husband turned blue and stopped breathing. She got out to find help and moments later, help showed up.

"We very much believe that God – his hand was taking care of us, and that Michael was our guardian angel," Wilma said.

Although Michael Fuelling was technically on vacation himself, he says his firefighter oath and his heart did the thinking and he pulled over.

"He actually had the heart attack while I was talking to him," Fuelling said of Carl. "He actually went unconscious while I was talking to him, and I started CPR on him immediately."

Fuelling's quick thinking got Carl's heart beating again. Then on-duty crews showed up and took Carl to the hospital, where he got a pacemaker, and a visit from his angel, Michael.

"We don't generally get to see the outcome," Fuelling said. "But I wanted to know the outcome, so it was an emotional time for all of us."

The Hohns says the City of Toledo should know what a protector and angel they have in Michael Fuelling.

Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Bush's Baked Beans announces voluntary recall

Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT

Bush Brothers & Co.Saturday announced a voluntary recall of certain 28-ounce cans of three varieties of its baked beans.

More >>

More >>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

Princes William, Harry remember their final call with Diana

Sunday, July 23 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-23 07:30:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 9:31 PM EDT2017-07-24 01:31:59 GMT

Prince William and Prince Harry are paying tribute to their mother, Princess Diana, as the 20th anniversary of her death in a car crash approaches.

More >>