BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Firefighters said no one was home when a fire started early Monday morning.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reported it happened at a house on Beech Street, which is between St. Gerard Avenue and McClelland Drive, around 4 a.m.
Investigators said they believe the fire started near the water heater, but have not yet determined the exact cause of the blaze.
According to firemen, the flames quickly spread to the attic above and burned through the roof directly above where it is thought to have begun. Crews contained it to the hallway near the water heater.
In addition to what was done by the flames, the rest of the home received heavy smoke and water damage.
No injuries were reported.