Arizona motorcycle accident victim warns drivers - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Arizona motorcycle accident victim warns drivers

Crash victim Juan Rodriguez with his fiance Amanda Lujan. Crash victim Juan Rodriguez with his fiance Amanda Lujan.
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

You hear a lot about deadly accidents involving motorcycles. A Valley couple wants to share their story in hopes drivers will pay more attention to bikers on the road.

"The Fourth of July, Juan proposed and it was beautiful," said Amanda Lujan.

Last summer was a much better time for Amanda and her fiancé Juan Rodriguez.

"We were in heaven from that point," she said.

Both worked at the Hyatt Regency in Scottsdale. Amanda is a recruiter and Juan worked as a chef.

"We stared making plans," said Lujan.

Then Sept. 20 came around, and everything turned into hell. He ended up in the ICU for months after a car slammed into his motorcycle.

"I first noticed his bike, then I noticed his helmet and once I saw his backpack I realized it was him," she remembered.

"I only remember riding on my bike that day and heading over to my fiancé's house," said Rodriguez. He said he does not remember the accident, just waking up in the hospital asking what happened.

"I have a lot of injuries. I broke my pelvis, I broke my wrist," Rodriguez said.

Riding since he was a teen, Juan knew the risks.

"There are two kinds of riders - ones that's been down, and ones that are going down. It's hard, people don't see you," he said.

Millions of dollars in medical bills, 20 surgeries and countless sleepless nights later, their friends at the Hyatt are coming together to raise some money for him.

"We've had so much support, which is what I think kept Juan alive," said Lujan.

The two know it'll be tough and are looking forward to the wedding day when Rodriguez will be able stand side-by-side with his fiancée.

A benefit dinner was held at the Hyatt Regency in Scottsdale on Sunday. For more information on donating, click here.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Bush's Baked Beans announces voluntary recall

Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT

Bush Brothers & Co.Saturday announced a voluntary recall of certain 28-ounce cans of three varieties of its baked beans.

More >>

More >>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

Princes William, Harry remember their final call with Diana

Sunday, July 23 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-23 07:30:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 9:31 PM EDT2017-07-24 01:31:59 GMT

Prince William and Prince Harry are paying tribute to their mother, Princess Diana, as the 20th anniversary of her death in a car crash approaches.

More >>