Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:07 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:07:52 GMT
Labor Day weekend has a special significance for alligator hunters in Mississippi. A few days into the start of this year's hunting season, a record-setting 756-pound gator was caught by Robert MahaffeyMore >>
Labor Day weekend has a special significance for alligator hunters in Mississippi. A few days into the start of this year's hunting season, a record-setting 756-pound gator was caught by Robert Mahaffey of Brandon in the first weekend of the season.More >>
MEMPHIS, TN -
(WMC-TV) - Sometimes beauty can be pretty ugly. That is the lesson learned by a Mid-South woman who says an over-the-counter hair remover removed much more than her hair.
Underneath the bandages on Shannon Franks' left hand is a nasty blistering burn that she says was caused by a Sally Hansen waxing product.
"It was extra strength all over body wax," she said.
It was a wax that, she says, exploded all over her hand.
"I was in a state of shock when it actually happened," she said as she started to tell her story.
Franks was at a friend's house when she put the open container in the microwave and set the timer for 45 seconds.
"About half way into the minimum time stated I noticed the container begin to bubble," said Franks, who immediately removed the container from the microwave.
"And within seconds, it had exploded out of the side of the container and landed on my hand."
The explosion left a gaping hole in the container where was spewing out.
There is a second degree burn on Franks' thumb and less serious burns between her thumb and index finger.
"The skin began to discolor in several different ways. It was very red in areas started turning white in areas," she explained.
The product instructions say to heat the wax for 30 seconds, then for 15 second intervals until it is spreadable.
Franks admits she initially set the timer at 45 seconds, but she says the container began to cave in at 30 seconds.
"If it's a microwave able container there's no way that should be okay," she said.
She wanted answers from the Sally Hansen about how this could happen.
The company responded to us saying:
"The Sally Hansen Extra Strength All-Over Body Wax kit is safe for use as intended and has never been recalled. Detailed instructions accompany the product and should be followed when using the product."
Franks is not a novice when it comes to waxing, in fact, she is a licensed cosmetologist.
"Even with my own products that I've used never had any problem with a container before," she added.
Now Franks has sworn off home waxing for good and wants to warn others.
"Women everywhere are always looking for a home fix, it helps save money," she said.
But this home fix was costly and will likely leave Shannon Franks scarred for life.
"It would be more worth it to spend the money and have a licensed cosmetologist do it and make sure that you are not in jeopardy of a burn," said Franks.
Doctors at The MED's Regional Burn Center say the heating capacity of microwave ovens varies among different models.
They say to never pull anything out of the microwave that appears to be overheating without letting it cool down first.
Even coffee and water can explode if it is removed too quickly.