LSU bomb threat suspect pleads guilty

William Bouvay Jr., also known as "Boobie" (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)
William Bouvay Jr., also known as "Boobie" (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The man accused of calling in a bomb threat to LSU's campus last fall has pleaded guilty prior to his trial date.

William Bouvay Jr., known as "Boobie," 42, of Baton Rouge pleaded guilty to a state of Louisiana charge of communications of false information of a planned bombing on school property.

Prosecutors said Bouvay faces up to 28 years in prison for the phone call he made last September. There was no word on when he will be formally sentenced.

The trial was originally scheduled to begin on April 22.

Federal charges against Bouvay were dropped, so the state of Louisiana case could move forward. The state case carries more time in prison.

Investigators said Bouvay called the EBR 911 center on Monday, Sept. 17 at 10:32 a.m. and told the operator there were three bombs placed around the LSU campus. The call was recorded. In the police report from the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, what Bouvay said to the 911 operator was recorded.

"Yes, I've planted three bombs at LSU's school campus. My colleagues planted three bombs at LSU to go off in two hours if my (pause). This is not a joke. I'm gonna go there and... (call disconnected)."

The campus was evacuated around 11:30 a.m. When some 35,000 students, faculty and staff were told to evacuate from campus, the buildings were quickly cleared.

No one was injured. Students living in residence halls were left waiting for word it was safe to return.

The threat happened in the wake of bomb scares at several other large universities around the nation the previous week. Officials did not believe the LSU bomb threat was related to any other bomb threat reported around the nation.

Residents living on campus were allowed back into their dorm rooms just after 8 p.m. and the entire campus was given the all clear around 11 p.m.

All 250 buildings on campus had to be checked first.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.