BOWIE COUNTY, TX (KSLA) - Authorities believe a homeowner's response to finding a snake in her yard may have led to the fire that destroyed her house Wednesday.
The fire sparked at a home in Bowie County, TX just before 7 p.m.
"While cleaning up, she saw snake, threw gasoline on the snake, lit the snake on fire," said Deputy Randall Baggett with the Bowie County Sheriff's Office. "The snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire."
Despite the efforts of several fire departments that responded to the scene, the flames completely engulfed the home. It is a complete loss. A neighboring home was also damaged on one side.
The fire remains under investigation.
There has been no word from officials on whether charges will be filed.