Some are worried about sequestration, others don't care - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Some are worried about sequestration, others don't care

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

A series of automatic cuts are set to begin Monday, unless Congress does something. The White House released a series of cuts to each state to focus on the severity of the issue.  Locally, however, some department heads are not too worried.

Robert Barham, who is the Secretary of the Department of Health & Hospitals, says his office does get some federal grants, but because the president scared so many people about gun control, his revenue from gun sales will easily offset the five percent sequester losses.

"So they are going to hold back five percent. So, that means we're going to give up half a million dollars. Yes it will impact us, but we'll have more money than last year because of other actions he's done. There's a little irony there," says Barham.

The sequester also means trouble for Operation Head Start. Head start and early head start services would be eliminated for approximately 1,400 children in Louisiana, reducing access to critical early education.

According to a White House press release from Friday, this spells out head start's fate. "We don't know if it's going to be based on our total grant or what," says Paula Merrick-Roddy Director of Human Development and Services. "What you have on your remaining grant. We don't receive all of our money at one time; it comes in throughout the year."

Law enforcement is also getting gutted to the tune of $264,000. District Attorney Hillar Moore says it will not impact the highly acclaimed BRAVE program.

None of these doomsday possibilities will happen overnight.  All of it can be un-done by the Congress and Presidential cooperation.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Accused serial rapist and killer undetected working as cop

    Accused serial rapist and killer undetected working as cop

    Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 12:53 PM EDT2018-04-26 16:53:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

    The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

    More >>

    The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

    More >>
  • Texas gang member executed for killing girl, grandmother

    Texas gang member executed for killing girl, grandmother

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:55 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:55:40 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:23 AM EDT2018-04-26 05:23:56 GMT
    (Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...(Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...
    Attorneys for a condemned Texas prisoner are asking the US Supreme Court to halt his execution for killing a young girl and her grandmother in 2008.More >>
    Attorneys for a condemned Texas prisoner are asking the US Supreme Court to halt his execution for killing a young girl and her grandmother in 2008.More >>
  • Ford shifts gears, will stop making nearly all its passenger cars in North America

    Ford shifts gears, will stop making nearly all its passenger cars in North America

    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-04-26 15:55:54 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:55 AM EDT2018-04-26 15:55:54 GMT
    Over the next few years, the automaker will cut its North America passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent. (Source: Ford Motor Co.)Over the next few years, the automaker will cut its North America passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent. (Source: Ford Motor Co.)

    Over the next few years, the automaker will cut its North America passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent.

    More >>

    Over the next few years, the automaker will cut its North America passenger car lineup by more than 80 percent.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly