Saturday, May 18 2013 11:59 PM EDT2013-05-19 03:59:26 GMT
A man was shot in the leg Saturday night inside of BREC's Hooper Road Park, according to the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office. The injury is not considered life-threatening. The victim told investigatorsMore >>
A man was shot in the leg Saturday night inside of BREC's Hooper Road Park, according to the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office. The injury is not considered life-threatening. More >>
It's all about the odds, and one lone ticket in Florida has beaten them all by matching each of the numbers drawn for the highest Powerball jackpot in history at an estimated $590.5 million, lottery officials...More >>
Some lucky person walked into a Publix supermarket in suburban Florida over the past few days and bought a ticket now worth an estimated $590.5 million - the highest Powerball jackpot in history.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 9:39 PM EDT2013-05-19 01:39:50 GMT
A 12-year-old boy accidentally shot his 8-year-old brother in the shoulder Saturday afternoon, according to the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office. The injury is not life-threatening. The accidentMore >>
A 12-year-old boy accidentally shot his 8-year-old brother in the shoulder Saturday afternoon.More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 11:37 AM EDT2013-05-17 15:37:38 GMT
MANOR, TX (KEYE/CBS) – A weapons company began this week rolling out a groundbreaking "smart" rifle that can target and track a moving object from long distance. Trackingpoint began shipping the guns toMore >>
The rifle is precision guided with "lock and launch" technology similar to a fighter jet.More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 7:41 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:41:51 GMT
The director of the East Baton Rouge Companion Animal Alliance admits her city-parish shelter messed up big time Friday."We take full responsibility," Beth Brewster, CAA director "CAA takes full responsibilityMore >>
The director of the East Baton Rouge Companion Animal Alliance admits her city-parish shelter messed up big time Friday.More >>
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -
A woman who lost nearly everything in a Thursday morning fire, including two family pets, says it could have been worse. Now, she hopes this serves as a warning to others.
Antoinette Holmes got the most unexpected wake up call Thursday morning in her Erie Street home, but it's one that likely saved her life.
"What woke me up was the fire touched my feet. When I opened my eyes fire was in the ceiling, on the walls and everything. I had to actually feel myself to the front door," said Holmes.
Holmes says she smelled something burning a few hours earlier, but after walking through her house, she didn't find anything wrong so she went back to sleep. Investigators say that smell was the space heater, which was too close to flammable items and sparked the blaze.
"I threw two of dogs out the window for safety, but two of them...my Yorkie burned and another dog," said Holmes.
Firefighters say the heat was so intense, it melted the front Holmes' new car.
"I just thank God I'm still breathing," said Holmes. "That's the only thing I have left is the breath in my body. I lost everything."
Now Holmes hopes other homeowners can learn from her tragedy.
"Make sure at night, when you're sleeping, at least unplug them or turn them off because the results of that would be (turns to her home)...will make you look like this. You'll lose everything," said Holmes.
Red Cross is helping out with a housing for a couple of nights, while Holmes figures out what to do next.
If you plan to use a space heater to keep warm the next few days - officials remind you to keep them at least 3 feet from anything flammable.
An account to assist Antoinette Holmes has been set up at Regions Bank.