Fire guts BR apt. after person falls asleep while cooking - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Fire guts apartment after person falls asleep while cooking

Posted: Updated:
The fire destroyed one unit and damaged three others. The fire destroyed one unit and damaged three others.
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Fire officials said flames destroyed an apartment after someone fell asleep while cooking Thursday morning.

The fire sparked at the Warren House Apartments on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge around 8:30 a.m.

Investigators said the person living there was awakened by smoke and noticed the pot that had been left on the stove was on fire. Firefighters said the occupant tried to put out the fire, but only made it spread.

Fire gutted that apartment and damaged the walkway outside. The units on both sides and the one above had light to moderate smoke and heat damage.

There were no injuries.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow