Family displaced after fire destroys home

Shareeka West walked around what is left of her family home on Thursday, still searching for the right words.

"Like right now I don't know what to say. It's just. It just hurts," said West.

Pain is all that remains from a blaze that firefighters told Shareeka and her family started because of a gas leak and a possible electrical short.  No one was home at the time of the fire but at least 10 lives were turned upside down, including those of six children who are left with many questions.

"They told me they lost everything and they don't have anywhere to stay, everything is gone," said West.

Shareeka and her family say the devastation is hard to comprehend and that's where organizations like the American Red Cross come into play, providing necessities like shelter and clothing. But most of all reassurance that everything will eventually be alright.

"It is really isolating when you're going through this process. So we want the family to know you will, you will be resilient in this. You are going to make it and these are some steps that we can help guide you in that," said Nancy Malone of the Baton Rouge American Red Cross.

Shareeka and her family did have rental insurance but the task of rebuilding still looms large, so in the meantime she plans on remaining strong and answering her children's' questions the best way she knows how.

"I try to encourage them everything will be fine. You have your health, your strength, we're alive," added West.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.