Tuesday, May 21 2013 6:18 AM EDT2013-05-21 10:18:45 GMT
Authorities said a 15-year-old girl may be facing charges after driving without a license and losing control of a car in a crash that left a 10-year-old girl dead Monday afternoon. The crash happened onMore >>
Authorities said a 15-year-old may be facing charges after driving without a license and losing control of a car in a crash that left a 10-year-old dead.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:48 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:48:15 GMT
A woman has been arrested after she allegedly locked her four young daughters out of their home for days at a time.A witness told police that the four girls, ages 7, 5, 3 and 1, had been in the same dirtyMore >>
A woman has been arrested after she allegedly locked her four young daughters out of their home for days at a time.More >>
Monday, May 20 2013 11:45 PM EDT2013-05-21 03:45:38 GMT
A widespread power outage has affected a large portion of Ascension Parish. Small portions of neighboring parishes are also affected. As of 5:40 p.m., the Entergy website reported 20,981 homes andMore >>
A widespread power outage affected a large portion of Ascension Parish and part of EBR Parish Monday. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 11:15 AM EDT2013-05-21 15:15:53 GMT
Residents in tornado-stricken Moore, OK, await news on missing love ones Tuesday, a day after a massive tornado devastated the city, killing at least 51. Rescuers worked all night, with particular attentionMore >>
A medical examiner's office spokeswoman said 24 deceased victims from the Moore, OK, tornado had been transported to their Oklahoma City office. Seven of the dead were children.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:36 AM EDT2013-05-21 14:36:49 GMT
(RNN) – A day after long track tornadoes devastated Shawnee and Edmond, OK, another round has begun near Oklahoma City.KOCO broadcast a slow rotating cloud that slowly extended down towards the groundMore >>
Dozens of people have died after a second day of tornadoes twisted through Oklahoma, this time taking aim at the town of Moore, south of Oklahoma City.More >>
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -
Gov. Nikki Haley announced on Monday a new initiative that will require employment for up to 100,000 people in South Carolina who receive food stamps.
The initiative, called SNAP 2 WORK, is the first-ever mandatory job requirement for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program recipients who are not disabled and do not have dependent children living with them, Haley wrote on her Facebook page.
Currently, the program is active in 15 counties. The South Carolina Department of Social Services (DSS) is seeking to expand the program to the state's remaining 31 counties during 2013 utilizing the limited federal funding available.
Under an initiative with the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce and new contracts with local businesses and nonprofits, including Goodwill Industries, DSS is working to help SNAP recipients find and retain jobs, said Haley.
The program is currently active in the following counties: Anderson, Berkeley, Beaufort, Charleston, Cherokee, Darlington, Dorchester, Georgetown, Greenwood, Greenville, Lancaster, Lexington, Orangeburg, Richland, and Sumter.
DSS officials say they don't look at the program as a requirement, but rather an opportunity. At least 100,000 South Carolina food stamp recipients are eligible to be participants in the program that was rolled out in April 2012.