DARROW, LA (WAFB) - Fire investigators said they believe they know what started a deadly Christmas Eve blaze.
Officials said it looks like the fire started in an appliance near the living room couch.
Two young children perished when flames consumed a trailer late Sunday night into early Monday morning.
Investigators said Dimani Elder, 6, and Kevin Porter, 4, were asleep when the fire sparked just before midnight in the community of Darrow.
Their mother and two older sisters barely made it out alive.
A relative who lives next door tried to rescue the two boys, but couldn't get to them in time.
"I went to the back window and tried to get him out of there," said Lindsay Lucas, the boys' uncle. "I ripped the air conditioner out, but I couldn't get in there. The smoke was too bad."
The firefighters of the Fifth Ward Volunteer Fire Department are accepting donations at the Darrow Fire Station on LA 22.