Baton Rouge residents give mixed reactions to NRA announcement - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Baton Rouge residents give mixed reactions to NRA announcement

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

The National Rifle Association said it wants to see armed guards in every school.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre, CEO of the NRA.

The polarizing comment was made in response to last week's deadly shooting rampage in Newtown, CT.

The NRA's position drew mixed comments from people in the Baton Rouge area.

"I don't really think an armed guard is going to do that much good, because I think if somebody wants to get into the school, they're going to get into it," said one man.

"I don't think there should be an armed guard standing right there, but I do think that they should have some type of protective measures for the children," added a woman.

"I guess it's necessary sometimes, especially with the recent stuff that's been going on," said another woman. "I know at my high school I had a policeman on staff. I guess it just adds to the level of security."

"I think it's a school by school basis," said a second man. "My wife's a teacher and I don't think having more guns at schools is really going to solve the problem."

No one from the NRA took questions.

Copyright 2012 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Local/State NewsMore>>

  • Advocacy organization calls for EBR School Board member to resign

    Advocacy organization calls for EBR School Board member to resign

    A Louisiana based organization is calling for the resignation of East Baton Rouge Parish School Board member, Connie Bernard, following the surfacing of a video in which Bernard can be seen engaging in an argument and physical dispute at a neighbor's residence.  Bernard was issued a summons by deputies after causing a disturbance at a neighbor's home where she was captured on video grabbing a young man by the neck and screaming profane language. RELATED: http://www.wa...

    More >>

    A Louisiana based organization is calling for the resignation of East Baton Rouge Parish School Board member, Connie Bernard, following the surfacing of a video in which Bernard can be seen engaging in an argument and physical dispute at a neighbor's residence.  Bernard was issued a summons by deputies after causing a disturbance at a neighbor's home where she was captured on video grabbing a young man by the neck and screaming profane language. RELATED: http://www.wa...

    More >>
  • Educators organize to encourage ExxonMobil CEO to withdraw tax break requests

    Educators organize to encourage ExxonMobil CEO to withdraw tax break requests

    Several groups advocating for the interests of educators and "Together Baton Rouge" gathered outside of a School Board meeting Thursday to publicly request a meeting with the CEO of ExxonMobil, hopeful they'd be able to persuade him to withdraw a request that would exempt Exxon from paying school property taxes on more than 150 million dollars of the company's property.  

    More >>

    Several groups advocating for the interests of educators and "Together Baton Rouge" gathered outside of a School Board meeting Thursday to publicly request a meeting with the CEO of ExxonMobil, hopeful they'd be able to persuade him to withdraw a request that would exempt Exxon from paying school property taxes on more than 150 million dollars of the company's property.  

    More >>
  • LDH downplays reports of measles outbreak; calls it a ‘misinterpretation of language’

    LDH downplays reports of measles outbreak; calls it a ‘misinterpretation of language’

    Source: CDCSource: CDC

    The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) says there is no measles outbreak in the United States, nor in Louisiana. This week it was reported that 2018 is on pace to be the worst year for measles since 2014 when there were 667 reported cases. According to the latest report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have been 107 people from 21 states diagnosed with measles from January 1 to July 14, 2018. Louisiana is among those states where at least one case ha...

    More >>

    The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) says there is no measles outbreak in the United States, nor in Louisiana. This week it was reported that 2018 is on pace to be the worst year for measles since 2014 when there were 667 reported cases. According to the latest report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there have been 107 people from 21 states diagnosed with measles from January 1 to July 14, 2018. Louisiana is among those states where at least one case ha...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly