A lightning strike sparked a house fire on South Lakeside Oaks Dr. Thursday night.Several crews from the St. George Fire Department responded to the fire Thursday evening.We're told people were in theMore >>
A lightning strike sparked a house fire Thursday. It happened on South Lakeside Oaks Drive in Baton Rouge.More >>
Friday, May 3 2013 10:17 AM EDT2013-05-03 14:17:02 GMT
An Amber Alert has been issued for two girls missing from Llano, Texas. 15-year-old Misty Sloan and 13-year-old Savannah Sloan are missing from Kingsland, a suburb of Llano. The suspect in the disappearanceMore >>
15-year-old Misty Sloan and 13-year-old Savannah Sloan are missing from Kingsland, a suburb of Llano.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:40 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:40:36 GMT
A Columbia woman has been arrested after a child in her care died over the weekend.Margie Hamm, 34, was arrested and charged with homicide by child abuse, according to the Columbia Police Department.PoliceMore >>
A Columbia woman has been arrested after a child in her care died over the weekend.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 7:34 PM EDT2013-05-23 23:34:54 GMT
Maybe he was up too late partying. Or maybe the 75-year-old actor woke up a bit too early. Whatever it was, Morgan Freeman dozed off during an interview.More >>
Maybe he was up too late partying. Or maybe the 75-year-old actor woke up a bit too early. Whatever it was, Morgan Freeman dozed off during an interview. More >>
MONTGOMERY, AL -
23-year-old Ben Dean says he and his band mates and friends were having a party in the living room with this balcony door open when all of a sudden they saw flames coming from a nearby building.
"We started banging on doors and trying to get people out and thankfully we did. We saved a lot of lives, I think," Dean said.
Everyone scattered, but they didn't run away. They ran to help.
"Actually I think I may have broke a hinge off of one door. This lady opened up and there was this little girl crying and we got them out," Dean said.
Dean's friend Jhoan Zamudi says he ran right into the fire.
"Completely smoking upstairs. We ran up there and she said her brother was still up there. The fire was on top of me, I knew that, but I wasn't sacred," Zamudi said.
Dean's friend Ashley Farmer took photos of the fire in progress.
These guys say they were not going to sit and watch a tragedy unfold. They wanted to do something.
"Well I would hope somebody would do that for me. I would do it for anybody else, yes. I didn't think about who was there, If I like them or not. I just knew there were people in there," Zamudi said.
Thankfully with their quick thinking and firefighters' help, everyone affected by the fire survived.
Grover Henry with the Red Cross is coordinating clothing, furniture and food donations for the displaced families. Call him at 334-260-3984 if you'd like to help. Wednesday is the fourth day residents have been in temporary housing. The Red Cross only pays for up to five days of housing.
Ashton management says they are getting other units ready for tenants who want to move in Thursday. They are also not charging them for next months' rent.