Tuesday, June 18 2013 5:12 PM EDT2013-06-18 21:12:52 GMT
A 13-year-old boy was arrested and charged with second degree murder after his 5-year-old sister died Sunday. Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Detectives say the boy admitted to practicing "WWE" moves on theMore >>
A 13-year-old boy was arrested and charged with second degree murder after his 5-year-old sister died Sunday. Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Detectives say the boy admitted to practicing "WWE" moves on the girl, even after she told him that she was in pain.More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 4:10 PM EDT2013-06-18 20:10:44 GMT
WWL-TV reports there has been a possible explosion in Washington Parish early Tuesday morning. The station stated on its website officials are on their way to the town of Isabel to investigate. According toMore >>
There was a gas line explosion early Tuesday morning, according to Washington Parish Sheriff Randy Seal. The gas fire is out, but trees in the area are still burning. More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 10:36 AM EDT2013-06-18 14:36:47 GMT
Louisiana State Police reports I-10 East is closed at Whiskey Bay on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge due to multiple crashes. Traffic on I-10 East is being diverted onto I-49 North.Drivers trying to get toMore >>
Louisiana State Police said I-10 East was closed for a while Tuesday morning due to multiple crashes near Whiskey Bay on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge.More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 12:18 PM EDT2013-06-18 16:18:50 GMT
A man accused of stealing air conditioners was arrested on theft and drug charges Monday. Johnny Williams Jr., 34, of Hammond, faces charges of felony theft and possession of marijuana. The Tangipahoa ParishMore >>
A man accused of stealing air conditioners was arrested on theft and drug charges Monday. Witnesses said they saw him take the units. More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 11:37 AM EDT2013-06-18 15:37:41 GMT
Sheriff's deputies are asking for the public's help in finding a suspected rapist. The Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office reported Justo Venegas, 31, is wanted on a charge of forcible rape. Chief DeputyMore >>
Sheriff's deputies are asking for the public's help in finding a suspected rapist. He is wanted for forcible rape involving a girl. More >>
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
The magnets are marketed as the world's most popular desk toy. Buckyballs are sold to adults as stress relievers.
But to three-year-old Aurora Lewis, an active and inquisitive child, the shiny BB-sized pellets looked like candy.
"The thing about Aurora is she puts everything in her mouth. She's always been like that," her mother said.
Holly Lewis risks ridicule for not keeping the magnets away from her daughter. But she says what could have happened outweighs embarrassment.
Aurora swallowed the magnets and was rushed to emergency.
"They did an X-ray and they found thirteen," Holly said.
Jeremy King, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children, explains the danger of ingesting the tiny spheres.
"Because of the strength of the magnets, if they're in different parts of the gastrointestinal tract, they will attract," he said.
The magnetic attraction is so powerful the balls bunch together and can tear openings in a child's organs.
"The longer these magnets stay in the intestines or the stomach the more damage they're going to cause," Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children pediatrician Dr. Jessica Kosut said.
Doctors say bleeding and blockages caused by the magnets can be fatal. The worst case in Hawaii was the first case. A boy ingested 19 Buckyballs.
"He required a major surgery with re-section of pieces of bowel and closure of other pieces of bowel," King said.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission recently sued to get Buckyballs off the market. But the company insists the magnets are meant for adults not kids, and packaging labels say it in writing.
Earlier this year, Buckyballs CEO Craig Zucker defended his business on CBS news.
"We have the most vigorous safety program in, not just our industry, but most industries," he said. "Of course, our concern for safety is the same as the Consumer Product Safety Commission. We just believe there's a different course of action that doesn't require banning the product."
Buckyballs stands by its warning system and continues to sell through its web site. The company also has a page on magnet safety.
"People still have them in homes, and that still serves as a potential risk," King said.
The thirteen magnets Aurora swallowed didn't get far, Fortunately, she didn't need surgery.
"Because it was within seven hours and it hadn't passed beyond the stomach, Dr. King was able to go in with his scope and retrieve all thirteen magnets," Kosut said.
King said adults should never have Buckyballs around their kids. If they do, they need to know the symptoms and signs of magnet ingestion.
"Abdominal pain, abdominal distension, vomiting and fever," he said.
"If you have any suspicion that your child may have ingested these magnets you should seek immediate medical attention and you should not delay," Kosut said.
Counting Aurora, over the last two years, eight children in Hawaii swallowed Buckyballs. They ranged in age from two to ten. All were treated successfully. The last two emergencies happened in May.
"It was very very scary. The most scared I've ever been as a parent," Holly Lewis said.
A single Buckyball can lift an object one thousand times its weight. Imagine what several can do to a child's insides. The company has sold more than two million sets of the magnets since 2009. If you've got one, keep it in the right hands.