Aaron Taylor found guilty of second degree murder - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Aaron Taylor found guilty of second degree murder

Aaron Taylor (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office) Aaron Taylor (Source: East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

An accused murderer heard his fate Thursday afternoon; a guilty as charged verdict from the jury.

The jury needed just two hours of deliberation the jury of eight women and four men found Taylor guilty of second degree murder and three counts of armed robbery. 

The victim's mother Donna Nash was tearful after the verdict was read. "Thank you, thank you, thank you with lots of tears," she said when asked what she wanted to tell the jury.

Aaron Taylor slumped in his chair after the verdict was delivered. Defense attorney Bruce Craft said they were braced for the decision. "Obviously not the verdict that Aaron hoped for and his family hoped for, but it was not unexpected," said Craft.

Prosecutors complimented the jury on its quick and decisive decision. "This was a very violent crime and there were two people in the eyes of the law equally [to blame]," explained prosecutor Will Morris.

Detectives say Taylor did not pull the trigger but he was involved.

Mohammad Collins was convicted earlier this year.

He's now serving a life sentence, which Taylor will face as well. Second degree murder in Louisiana carries an automatic life sentence.

The jury found that Taylor went inside a mobile home on Aster, got into a scuffle with Calvert and Collins shot Calvert.

District court Judge Don Johnson will sentence Taylor on January 23, 2013.

Copyright 2012 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly