Vegetable Flowers with Homemade Ranch Dip
Fresh spinach leaves
1 16-ounce container sour cream
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoons minced, fresh parsley
2 tablespoons minced, fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic, crushed)
2 tablespoons grated onion (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Set out vegetables design your own flowers (there is no right or wrong way of doing this). I used radish slices and cucumber rounds for petals, cherry tomatoes for flower centers, celery sticks for stems, spinach for leaves, and baby carrots for grass.
2. Ranch Dip: In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and vinegar until smooth. Add the parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion, if desired, and salt and pepper and stir. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Easter Bunny Bread
2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
2 sliced almonds
1 egg, lightly beaten
Dip of your choice
1. Cut a fourth off of one loaf of dough; shape into a pear to form head. For body, flatten remaining portion into a 7-in. x 6-in. oval; place on a greased baking sheet. Place head above body. Make narrow cuts, about 3/4 in. deep, on each side of head for whiskers.
2. Cut second loaf into four equal portions. For ears, shape two portions into 16-in. ropes; fold ropes in half. Arrange ears with open ends touching head. Cut a third portion of dough in half; shape each into a 3-1/2-in. oval for back paws. Cut two 1-in. slits on top edge for toes. Position on each side of body.
3. Divide the fourth portion of dough into three pieces. Shape two pieces into 2-1/2-in. balls for front paws; shape the remaining piece into two 1-in. balls for cheeks and one 1/2-in. ball for nose. Place paws on each side of body; cut two 1-in. slits for toes. Place cheeks and nose on face. Add raisins for eyes and almonds for teeth.
4. Brush dough with egg. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
5. Place bread on a lettuce-lined 16-in. x 13-in. serving tray. Cut a 5-in. x 4-in. oval in center of body. Hollow out bread, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Line with lettuce and fill with dip.
Spring Sweet Bread
4 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon rind
1/2 cup butter
1 cup lukewarm milk
1 large egg (slightly beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package yeast
5 raw, dyed eggs
Egg white for brushing
1. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter as for a pie. Make a well in the center and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well until dough holds together and then knead until smooth. Put into a lightly greased bowl and let rise about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
2. Punch down and divide into 3 portions. Roll each portion into a rope and form into a loose braid. Place dyed eggs into the braid, brush with egg white wash and add the sprinkles. Cover lightly with kitchen towel and let rest for an hour. Bake at 350¢ª for 25-30 minutes, until nicely browned.