What are your favorite things to cook your family? Once you have submitted your recipe, we'll post it online with your name and state for everyone to see.More >>
VEGETARIAN RED BEANS AND RICE Go to taste on the spices & herbs. I usually add more garlic, cumin and chili powder. When you include rice with a bean, you have a great protein filled dish.
Now if you're celebrating Fat Tuesday, add some sauteed shrimp or chicken for a heartier meal. This can be divided in half.
Feel free to use your favorite kind of bean or add 2 different kinds.
1 very generous cup chopped onion 2-3 teaspoons garlic, minced 2 teaspoons cumin or to taste 2 bay leaves 1 teaspoon chili powder blend or to taste 2 cups rice 2 cans red beans, drained 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, or bit more if needed Salt and pepper to taste To stir in after cooking: Chopped Swiss chard, Spinach, Escarole or Kale. (If using Kale, add when you put the rice in as it takes longer to cook). Garnish: Thinly sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes
Film bottom of pan with olive oil . Add onion, garlic, cumin, bay and chili powder. Sauté until onion looks almost clear. Add rice, beans and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower to a simmer and cook until rice is tender. Remove bay. Serves 10-12 as a side dish
WHY THIS RECIPE IS GOOD FOR YOU:
• Beans: These cancer-licking legumes are low fat, high fiber and protein, beans help lower cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar, and reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease, especially folks with heart disease who also have diabetes
• Onions and Garlic: Great for your heart.
• Tomatoes: The lycopene in tomatoes is a powerful antioxidant and is also good for the prostate
• Brown rice: Nutritionally superior to white, this rice has a lower glycemic index so that means your body absorbs it more slowly.
• Bay: A salt buster which helps blood sugar levels.