(Serves 4 to 6)
1 cup of olive oil, mild
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 tbl spoon dry oregano
2 tbl spoons minced garlic
1 tbl spoon crushed red pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients and stir, let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week in a glass container
Brazilian-Style Flank Steak
1 large flank steak, well-marbled
Coarse salt and corn starch
- Leave the meat at room temperature for 30 minutes; pre-heat the grill to a very high temperature
- Pat dry the meat with a clean paper towel, season the meat with salt and then lightly dust it with the corn starch (although flavorless, it will help to create a crispy crust and nice char)
- Cook it for about 4-minutes on each side turning only once. Check with a thermometer for 140 degrees in the center for medium. Remove from the grill and let it rest in a cutting board for about 10-minutes loosely covered with aluminum foil.
- While the steak rests, cook the vegetables (see below for recipe)
- In the cutting board, slice the flank steak in angle against the grain, place the meat in a serving tray and serve with the chimichuri sauce (over the meat) and roasted vegetables
- Any vegetable of your liking
- You may grill any vegetable, large ones such carrots, beets and squash can be halved and boiled in advance in water or steamed for faster grilling; smaller vegetables like asparagus don't have to be pre-cooked.