Electrical fire displaces 13 people - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Electrical fire displaces 13 people

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Thirteen people were put out of their homes by a fire Monday. Investigators believe the fire began when a power strip overheated.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department was called to a duplex in the 16000 block of Derby Drive around 11:20 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they found a visible fire and heavy smoke on one side of the building.

The side of the duplex where the fire started received heavy fire, smoke and water damage. The other half took moderate smoke and water damage.

There were two adults and seven children living in the burned-out unit. Three adults and a child were living in the adjoining unit. The Red Cross was called out to assist.

Copyright 2010 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly