Natural gas leak sparks house fire - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Natural gas leak sparks house fire

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Investigators blamed a fire in Baton Rouge early Thursday morning on a natural gas leak in the home's water heater.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, the blaze sparked at a house in the 400 block of Brice Street around 2:20 a.m.

Firefighters said the family members had just returned from the hospital when they saw the flames and called the fire department. All six people living in the home safely escaped.

The fire spread up the wall of the utility room and into the attic before firefighters arrived. Investigators reported the back of the home received the majority of the fire damage, but the whole house suffered heavy smoke damage.

Red Cross responded to help the victims.

Copyright 2010 WAFB. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly