Electrical short sparks 5th fire of 2010 - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Electrical short sparks 5th fire of 2010

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - An electrical short was blamed for causing another house to go up in flames late Tuesday night. It marked at least the fifth fire in Baton Rouge in 2010 in which a blaze sparked from a wall outlet.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, the fire began in the back bedroom of a home in the 1900 block of Gayosa Street around 11 p.m. Firefighters reported the blaze was under control by 11:22 p.m.

Investigators said the fire started as an electrical short of a wall outlet, went up the wall and spread into the attic. Fire crews were able to keep the flames at bay, restricting the damage to the back wall of the bedroom where it started and parts of the attic.

However, the rest of the home received smoke and water damage. The one person living there made it out safely. No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2010 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly