Electrical short sparks blaze at home - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Electrical short sparks blaze at home

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - An electrical short is blamed for starting a blaze that left a Baton Rouge home with eight people living inside severely damaged Tuesday morning. No injuries were reported.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, it sparked a little before 9 a.m. in the 1300 block of Silverwood Drive. Crews were able to get the flames under control by 9:30 a.m.

When firemen showed up to the home, heavy smoke and fire were shooting from the back of the house. Once they were able to make their way inside, they found fire in a back bedroom and the attic above.

They were able to keep the fire from spreading to any other areas of the home, but the rest of it received heavy smoke and water damage. The Red Cross was called in to assist the family. Early estimates indicated the fire caused about $50,000 worth of damage to the home.

Copyright 2010 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly