5-year-old accidentally sets fire to house

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A family was displaced from their home after a 5-year-old boy started a fire while playing with matches Friday night.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, the fire began in a bedroom closet around 9:30 p.m.

It soon spread into several rooms and the attic before being brought under control a little after 10 p.m.

The remaining rooms of the house sustained heavy smoke damage.

The house suffered an estimated $100,000 worth of damage. The Red Cross was on hand to help the displaced family.

Copyright 2010 WAFB. All rights reserved.