Nystagmus treatment with surgery

Can a child now six years old born with birth defect and with nystagmus be helped any with surgery? She had occipital encepholocele at birth removed and left with this also.

Congenital nystagmus, that is nystagmus present from birth, cannot be corrected with surgery. If the nystagmus is associated with a head-turn, sometimes a surgery can be performed on the eyes to decrease the head-turn. The surgery, however, will not eliminate the nystagmus. With the complexity of this patient's eye problems, I would recommend that she be seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist. There are two pediatric ophthalmologists in Baton Rouge, Dr. Bradley Black and Dr. Stephen Sessums.

We thank you for participating in our Ask the Expert program and we remind you to visit your eye doctor regularly. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact our office at 924-2020 to schedule an appointment or email us with your phone number and we'll have the appropriate person contact you.