NEW ORLEANS, LA (AP) - Gas service was shut off in a Marrero neighborhood after gas pipeline exploded Saturday morning and caused a massive fire.
No one was reported injured in the blast, which happened around 10:25 a.m.
Firefighters from the Marrero-Ragusa and Marrero-Harvey volunteer fire departments battled the blaze.
The incident happened about 30 yards from the $22 million St. Bahkita Apartments, which opened in April.
Authorities said the blaze could be seen from the elevated West Bank Expressway.
The force of the explosion also could be seen in tilting utility and power lines.