Moong (Mung) beans are small olive-colored beans native to India. They are soft and sweet when cooked.
Makes 2-3 servings
Mung Beans 1 cup, cleaned and washed
Olive Oil 2 tablespoons
Red onion ½ cup, thin slices, lengthwise
Ginger (fresh) 1 tablespoon, minced
Touch of India spice
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Lemon juice (fresh)
1 tablespoon Cilantro leaves (fresh)
Preparation and Cooking Instructions
1. In a heavy-bottomed stockpot add 6 cups of water and mung beans. Bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes.
2. Over medium heat, cover and cook mung beans for 20 minutes or until soft and tender. Add salt, continue cooking until it reaches a consistency you like. (Keep it warm.)
3. Heat a heavy-bottomed sauté pan. Add olive oil.
4. Sauté onions over medium heat until dark golden brown. Add ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute, add cilantro and mix well. Add Touch of India spice, stir frequently to prevent sticking, cover and turn off the heat.
5. Add sautéed onions to pot with mung beans and let simmer for 10 minutes over very low heat.