Gov. Blanco Criticizes Road Home Program - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Gov. Blanco Criticizes Road Home Program

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Governor Kathleen Blanco says the pace of the Road Home program for hurricane victims is inadequate.

Blanco wants to know why only 27 families have received money from the program to restore the estimated 123,000 homes damaged or destroyed by last year's hurricanes.

The governor says money should be in the hands of at least 1,500 families by this point.

Blanco hopes to get answers during a meeting today with ICF International, the company in charge of dispensing $7.5 billion in federal funds to repair the owner-occupied houses.

The governor says there appears to be a breakdown between an applicant's appointment with program officials and the release of money.

As of Tuesday, 23,546 families had met with program counselors, but only about two dozen have completed the process.

Powered by WorldNow