Registered sex offender accused of home invasion, attempted rape of 11-year-old

Registered sex offender accused of home invasion, attempted rape of 11-year-old
John Clayton Solet, 56, is accused of home invasion and attempted first-degree rape of an 11-year-old girl.

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Baton Rouge Police have arrested a registered sex offender who is accused of entering a home and attempting to sexually assault an 11-year-old girl, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The alleged incident happened back in the early morning hours of Oct. 31, 2018.

Officers responded around 4:20 a.m. that morning to a home on N. 22nd Street in reference to a possible sexual assault.

The 11-year-old victim told investigators she awoke to someone shaking her body.

She says she looked up and saw the defendant, later identified by police as John Clayton Solet, 56, of Baton Rouge, on the side of her bed holding a knife, according to the affidavit.

Solet then allegedly began rubbing the victim’s thigh and told her “I want to eat you.”

According to the affidavit, Solet threatened the victim’s life if she would not let him perform oral sex on her.

The victim told investigators that she was scared to scream and started to act as if she couldn’t breath and told the man she needed her inhaler.

The man then ran out of the house and the victim went to her parents’ room and informed them of what happened.

The victim’s stepfather noticed his wallet had been moved and the contents were strewn about his room and the family’s black-handed steak knife was missing from the home.

The Baton Rouge Police Department’s Crime Scene investigators later arrived and obtained DNA swabs from the exterior door knob of the back door of the home. The DNA swabs were analyzed at the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab and police say they matched the DNA of Solet.

Police say the victim picked Solet out of six-person photographic lineup. The victim’s mother and stepfather said they had never seen Colet before.

He was convicted of indecent behavior with a juvenile in Terrebonne Parish on October 16, 2008.

Colet informed the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office of his change of address on November 15, 2018. He failed to pay the fees required of a change of an address procedure.

Deputies with EBRSO said in a probable cause affidavit they learned Colet had moved to another location without properly notifying the sheriff’s office.

Authorities located Colet and he was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Jan. 18, on charges of home invasion and attempted first-degree rape.

Copyright 2019 WAFB. All rights reserved.