Investigators believe carelessness may have led to deadly house fire

Investigators believe carelessness may have led to deadly house fire
*Note: This is a generic photo

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A man was found dead inside a home that caught fire Monday night, according to investigators.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department identified the victim as Christopher Dugas, 66. Curt Monte with BRFD said he died of carbon monoxide poisoning secondary to smoke inhalation.

Fire leaves elderly man dead

Officials reported the fire happened on Sevenoaks Avenue, which is off Lobdell Avenue south of Goodwood Avenue, around 10:15 p.m.

The Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal reported the investigation so far points to “carelessly discarded smoking materials” as a possible factor in the fire.

According to fire officials, the flames were contained to the back of the home.

The investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2018 WAFB. All rights reserved.