BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - The Louisiana Secretary of State’s Office reported it is hosting Voter Registration Week activities September 24 through 28 aimed at registering eligible citizens to vote.
The next regularly scheduled election in Louisiana is the congressional primary on Tuesday, November 6. Louisiana’s registration push also coincides with National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday, September 25. The last day to register to vote in person or by mail is October 9. The last day to register online through geauxvote.com is October 16. Early voting will be held October 23 through 30.
“The first step to participating in the electoral process is registering to vote,” said Secretary of State Kyle Ardoin. “This fall, Louisianians will choose their congressional representation, as well as a host of other local races and propositions. Get registered today so your voice can be heard on Election Day."
Officials said Louisiana was one of the first states in the US to implement an online voter registration portal. They added citizens with a valid Louisiana driver’s license or Louisiana Special ID card can register online 24 hours a day, seven days a week by visiting https://voterportal.sos.la.gov.
Louisiana residents can also register in person at their parish Registrar of Voters Office, when they apply for/renew their driver’s license at any Office of Motor Vehicles, or when obtaining services at public assistance agencies and Armed Forces recruitment offices.
Those who still want to register by mail can do so by downloading and printing the application at http://www.sos.la.gov/ElectionsAndVoting/PublishedDocuments/ApplicationToRegisterToVote.pdf, completing an application found at public libraries, or through registration drives.
To register and vote in Louisiana, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be at least 17-years-old (16-years-old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles) to register and 18-years-old prior to the next election to vote
- Not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony
- Not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights
- Be a resident in the state and parish in which you seek to register and vote
- Apply at least 20 days prior to an election if registering online or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail
To give citizens the chance to register near their home or workplace, the East Baton Rouge Parish Registrar of Voters will visit several library branches throughout the week from 1 to 6 p.m. Locations are as follows:
- Carver Branch Library – 720 Terrace St.
- Delmont Gardens Branch Library – 3351 Lorraine St.
- Main Library – 7711 Goodwood Blvd.
- Pride-Chaneyville Branch Library – 13600 Pride-Port Hudson Rd.
- Eden Park Branch Library – 5131 Greenwell Springs Rd.
- Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch Library – 11300 Greenwell Springs Rd.
- Jones Creek Regional Branch Library – 6222 Jones Creek Rd.
- Baker Branch Library – 3501 Groom Rd.